Friday, October 9, 2009

Didn't want it, didn't get it; however…

Wednesday, interview day, was more than a little ridiculous. The interview was out of the city, quite a ways away for someone without a car, and it took me almost three hours just to get there using four different means of transportation (bus to underground metro to train to cab). The bus and metro are covered by my monthly pass, but the train was $6 each way and the cab (which the interviewer had told me to take from the train station) was $13 for a single ride. Therefore, I arrived at the interview out of sorts, short $25 (I had to pay upfront for both train tickets), and not really wanting the job. Therefore, my interview (two, actually), was pretty bad. I couldn't feign enough interest in the job nor could I explain why I was really there in the first place.

Determined not to pay another $13 cab fare, I decided to try to take the bus to the train station. Despite having printed directions from one of my interviewers, I couldn't figure out which side of the street to wait on. Then I realized that I only had a $20, which I couldn't use on the bus. After a number of phone calls with my dad (thanks again, Dad!), some directions from someone on the street, and well over an hour of walking, I finally made it back to the train station. The only good thing about this was that I ended up on the same train that I would have taken had I been able to catch the bus.

Late this afternoon I found out that I didn't get the job. No big surprise. I really didn't want it and it showed. However, hours after I wrote my previous post, my boss at my internship told me that she wants to make my position paid. She couldn't promise anything, nor could she promise a full-time job, but it seems promising. I plan on talking to her about it again next week and perhaps we can get the ball rolling on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment