Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Two Weeks of Serious Indecisiveness

First off, I never heard back about the editing job. Oh well. Given that it was the first job for which I applied in this job search, I'm really not that surprised.

Second, I haven't written anything in the last two weeks because I haven't been able to decide on the topic for a post—that's how bad it is. Sure, I'm blessed to have the option of this indecision. I'm still being paid by my old job, I've got the support of my family if I need it, and I've got some money saved; however, it would be so nice to just wake up one morning and think, "I know! I'll be a ________!"

Recent jobs that I've considered are:
• pastry chef
I think I would really enjoy being a pastry chef or a baker, but that would involve going back to school. Then again, once I came out, I could probably find a job pretty darn easily. Everyday there are pastry chef positions being advertised on Craigslist.

• botanist
I'm really interested in plants, but how would I make this a viable career option? I do have a former botany professor on whom I could call, so if this keeps seeming like something I might want to do, I'll ask her for advice.

• museum docent/conservator
Living in San Francisco, there is no shortage of museums to attend. I have memberships to a number of them, and enjoy going as often as I can. I have bookmarked the job sites of all the museums at which I'd like to work, and will apply for anything for which I'm qualified.

• photo journalist
This because of an extremely interesting exhibit I saw at the Museum of Modern Art. It's called "The Americans" and it's a collection of all the photos used in a landmark book by photographer Robert Frank that was published exactly 50 years ago. Looking at all of his photos of ordinary Americans doing, by in large, very ordinary things, made me want to create my own study, but of San Francisco. Would someone want to pay me for this? I guess it's worth finding out.

2 comments:

  1. Unfortunately, botany as such is a dying field. Microbiology is sexy right now, and it's increasingly difficult to even GET a degree in botany. If you like, I can put you in touch with my mom's boss--she runs the University of Idaho herbarium, and her husband was a botany professor. She'd know about career stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I applied to be some kind of botany assistant at the Academy of Sciences. You didn't need any specific science knowledge, but, sadly, since we'd probably be competing with people who have Masters in science, that might also be something you'd have to go back to school for. I think "all the world's a stage!" but maybe it's only other theatre majors who realize that.

    ReplyDelete